Connecting Today's Professionals with Tomorrow's Talent!
The Science Education Speakers Bureau (SESB) is an opportunity for scientist to teach a hands-on lesson to middle school students and relate real world opportunities in science to young students before they have made their mind up about a career path.
The ultimate goal of this project is to increase student interest and appreciation for science and develop a home-grown workforce that meets industry's needs.
The Science Education Speakers Bureau helps to:
1. Improve students' understanding of the various career opportunities in the field of health sciences and how professionals use science knowledge and skills in their everyday work.
2. Increase student interest and achievement in science by enhancing existing curriculum.
The partners of the SESB conducted focus groups with life science teachers who provided input on standards-based science concepts that are "difficult to teach" and/or "difficult to learn". Their feedback and comments have informed the lessons for the SESB and are included on the SESB lesson matrix.
The BIOCOM Institute has also developed instructional guides to help industry professionals become more on the middle school classroom environment and curriculum.
1) DNA extraction from wheat germ
2) Genetic inheritance using PTC as a model
3) Levers in the body
4) Evidence of continental drift
5) The role of osmosis in Cholera
6) Plant respiration
Interested? Contact Us!
More information for Guest Speakers can be found HERE.
More information for Educators can be found HERE.
If you are interested in learning more about the Science Education Speakers Bureau please contact Nia Gipson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see our main website: www.biocominstitute.org