This role will play a crucial role in managing accounting and financial operations. This role will assist the Controller in managing accounting processes, financial reporting, budgeting, and analysis for the four (4) business entities under the Biocom CA umbrella. This position requires strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams. Position will be a key player in the financial health and success of Biocom California by ensuring financial information’s accuracy, completeness, and timeliness.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Financial Reporting:
- Assist in the preparation of accurate and timely financial statements for four (4) business entities under the Biocom CA umbrella;
- Review financial data for completeness, accuracy, and compliance in accordance with GAAP and company policies;
- Assist the Controller with the preparation of accurate and complete monthly balance sheet reconciliations;
- Assist the Controller with month-end and year-end closing processes, ensuring all necessary journal entries are recorded accurately and on time;
- Collaborate with the Controller to analyze financial results, identify trends, and provide insights to management.
- Accounting Operations:
- Assist in managing the day-to-day accounting operations and processing of all financial transactions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, and payroll for four (4) business entities under the Biocom CA umbrella;
- Ensure proper documentation and recording of financial transactions, maintaining an organized and efficient electronic filing system;
- Review and reconcile customer and vendor accounts, resolve discrepancies, and investigate accounting variances to ensure the accuracy of financial records;
- Assist Controller with banking and treasury management;
- Assist in developing and implementing accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Support the annual budgeting process for four (4) business entities under the Biocom CA umbrella by collecting and analyzing financial data, assisting in the creation of budget templates, and collaborating with department heads;
- Monitor actual financial performance against budgets, identifying and communicating significant variances;
- Assist in the preparation of financial forecasts and projections to support strategic decision-making.
- Compliance and Audit:
- Assist in ensuring compliance with accounting principles, industry regulations, and company policies for four (4) business entities under the Biocom CA umbrella;
- Support internal and external audits by providing necessary documentation, explanations, and data analysis;
- Assist in implementing and maintaining robust internal controls to safeguard company assets and mitigate financial risks.
- Bachelor’s in Accounting required. MBA and or master’s degree is a plus.
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of progressive experience in the accounting field.
- High & in-depth understanding of GAAP and the ability to apply it consistently and effectively;
- Accounting supervisory experience required;
- Audit experience with a CPA firm is highly preferred;
- Active CPA license is highly preferred;
- High Proficiency in Time Management, attention to detail, excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, problem-solving skills, adaptability, and a very strong work ethic;
- Be able to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong commitment in delivering the highest quality work
- Highly resourceful, solutions oriented and flexible with changing priorities and dynamic environment
- Must have QuickBooks Experience and/or other accounting software system experience;
- SalesForce experience is a strong plus;
- Strong computer skills – Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, etc.
The anticipated salary range for candidates who will work in the San Diego area is $120,000- $130,000. The final salary offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and length of experience within the job, type and length of experience within the industry, education etc. Biocom California is a multi-state and multi-regional employer and this salary range may not reflect positions that work in other states and regions.
Biocom California is the leader and advocate for California’s life science sector. We work on behalf of more than 1,700 members to drive public policy, build an enviable network of industry leaders, create access to capital, introduce cutting-edge STEM education programs and create robust value-driven purchasing programs.
We know that a diverse workforce strengthens us as an organization and helps achieve our mission of accelerating life science success. As an organization, we are committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Biocom California will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.