Senior Director of State Government Affairs
This position acts as the principal piece of the state legislative advocacy arm of Biocom California and, as such, is incredibly important in advocacy for our members and visibility for the organization. The Senior Director of State Government Affairs must be able to work independently and be the face of Biocom California in Sacramento politics. The Senior Director is also expected to be the primary liaison with many of Biocom California’s larger member companies, if not most.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with member companies to strategize, develop and implement state government affairs strategy
- Proactively identify trends or threats necessitating adjustments to that strategy
- Review, interpret, and summarize state legislation for membership
- Negotiate complex legislation
- Manage member committees, including gathering input/direction from members and publishing minutes
- Write articles and op-Ed’s on relevant topics
- Solicit funds for and manage Biocom PAC (a CA state PAC)
- Develop and execute comprehensive, proactive advocacy strategies using all the tools in the toolbox—direct lobbying, public affairs, trade association and consultants, political and civic engagement, and third-party outreach.
- Cultivate strong relationships with key government officials, leaders, and key staff colleagues.
- Supervise the Manager of State Government Affairs
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree mandatory, advanced degree strongly preferred
- Experience in or working on life sciences issues is a strong plus
- Minimum 15 years of experience working in CA State Legislature or working directly with it in a lobbying capacity;
- 8 years of people management experience and 4 years in a leadership role;
- Strong established relationships with the California Legislature
- Must have demonstrated the ability to work independently and as part of small and large coalitions
The anticipated base salary range for candidates who will work in the Sacramento Area is $200,000- $230,000. The final salary offered to a successful candidate will depend on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and length of experience within the job, type, and length of experience within the industry, education, etc. Biocom California is a multi-state and multi-regional employer, and this salary range may not reflect positions that work in other states and regions.
At Biocom California, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as an organization and helps us to achieve our mission to accelerate life science success. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Biocom California is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact our members and the greater life science industry.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume to [email protected].