The Staff Accountant will support general accounting operations by performing day-to-day accounting functions with a focus on business transactional entry, journal entries, reconciliations, payroll and benefits processing, employee expense reports, banking, and various other accounting and finance matters.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Processing of all business transactions including but not limited to accounts receivables, cash deposits, accounts payable, banking, employee expense reports, processing 1099’s and payroll and benefits expenses.
- Responsible for preparation of accurate and timely financial recordkeeping and ensure adherence to business management related policies and procedures, including AR, AP, Bank Reconciliations, and other GL Account Reconciliations
- Monitor transactions & accounts to ensure payments are current and processed efficiently.
- Processing semi-monthly payroll and other payroll related activities.
- Prepare, post, and reconcile general ledger journal entries as necessary.
- Credit card processing and reconciliation.
- Assist in monthly close duties.
- Assist in annual budget preparation.
- Responsible for analyzing transactions, explaining variances, preparing schedules, completing reconciliations, and providing support for annual financial audits, 990 filings, and budgets.
- Serves as backup to other accounting staff positions as needed.
- Assist with year-end audit and compliance and tax returns, etc.
- Respond to management requests for ad-hoc reports and accounting activity as needed.
- Assist the Controller and Senior Accountant with daily, monthly, and year-end operations of the accounting department and provide accounting support for other job duties or projects as assigned.
- Assist with monthly monitoring of budget vs actuals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required. Degree in accounting or related field.
- Public accounting experience and a Certified Public Accounting (CPA) License is a plus.
- Minimum two (2) years related experience in accounting/general bookkeeping including experience with cash receipts and account/general ledger reconciliations.
- Previous work experience in a non-profit organization is a plus.
- Strong understanding of and ability to implement GAAP in all work.
- Ability to be a self-starter and research GAAP as necessary and to effectively present opinions and ideas.
- Ability to receive constructive feedback in a positive and serious manner and work to continuously improve.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact across the organization.
- Proven analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Superior organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- High proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- QuickBooks experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of all standard office equipment.
At Biocom California, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as an organization and helps us to achieve our mission to accelerate life science success. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Biocom California is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact our members and the greater life science industry.